If you want to lose 10 pounds (4.5 kg) in one week, then you need to follow an effective plan. I’ve tested this plan on clients who were looking to lose weight fast before an event like a vacation or photo shoot, and it works wonders. In fact, some of my clients who use this look like they’ve been on a three- or four-week diet after just one week. Although it’s not a long-term fix, this can kick-start your weight loss journey and motivate you for more sustainable long-term changes.
1. Drink Mainly Water A sports or energy drink, fruit smoothie, or light beer — each serving contains about 100 calories. Yet these beverages don’t satisfy you the way 100 calories of food does, so they’re a waste. Other liquids may be high in sodium and carbohydrates, which trick your body into retaining water, puffing you out. Water, on the other hand, has zero calories and carbs and little to no sodium, making it the perfect slim-down drink. And, strangely, it actually helps flush out excess water weight as well as jumpstart your metabolism. If water is too boring, add lemon wedges or mint leaves using an infuser.
2. Cut Back on Sugars and Starches The most important part is to cut back on sugars and starches (carbs). These are the foods that stimulate secretion of insulin the most. If you didn’t know already, insulin is the main fat storage hormone in the body. When insulin goes down, fat has an easier time getting out of the fat stores and the body starts burning fats instead of carbs. Another benefit of lowering insulin is that your kidneys shed excess sodium and water out of your body, which reduces bloat and unnecessary water weight. It is not uncommon to lose up to 10 pounds (sometimes more) in the first week of eating this way, both body fat and water weight.
3. Lift Weights 3 Times Per Week You don’t need to exercise to lose weight on this plan, but it is recommended. The best option is to go to the gym 3-4 times a week. Do a warm up, lift weights, then stretch. If you’re new to the gym, ask a trainer for some advice. By lifting weights, you will burn a few calories and prevent your metabolism from slowing down, which is a common side effect of losing weight. Studies on low-carb diets show that you can even gain a bit of muscle while losing significant amounts of body fat. If lifting weights is not an option for you, then doing some easier cardio workouts like running, jogging, swimming or walking will suffice.
4. Be Active Outside of the Gym In order to burn extra calories and lose more weight, you can also increase your daily activity. In fact, how active you are throughout the day when you aren’t exercising also plays a very important role in weight loss and obesity. For example, the difference between a desk job and a manual job can account for up to 1,000 calories per day. This is the same as 90 to 120 minutes of high-intensity exercise. Simple lifestyle changes such as walking or biking to work, taking the stairs, going for walks outside, standing more or even cleaning the house can help you burn a lot of calories.
5. Have Nightly You-on-Top Sex Not that you needed an excuse to hook up with your guy every night, but the fact is, this position is a fat blaster. Being on top means you do the rocking, and the more active you are, the more calories you burn — up to 144 for 30 minutes. Sex also pumps levels of feel-good neurotransmitters, endorphins, helping you ride out food cravings. Get on top in reverse-cowgirl (i.e., facing away from your guy) to give your thigh and butt muscles an extra push.