If you’re a coffee drinker, you’ll be thrilled to hear that your caffeine fix is actually good for you ! Here’s why :
1. Reduce risk of type II diabetes. Coffee and its effect on diabetes has long been a subject of clinical study. One impressive international review examined the results from 18 such studies and determined that people who drink 3 to 4 cups of coffee a day have a 25 percent lower risk of developing type II diabetes in comparison with those who drink 2 or fewer cups a day.
2. Burns fat. That’s right ! A study published by the American Society for Clinical Nutrition found the caffeine in coffee actually increases a person’s metabolism. For obese people, caffeine increases the rate at which fat is burned up to 10 per cent, but in lean individuals, coffee can actually increase metabolism by up to 29 percent. It’s a compelling enough reason to hop on the treadmill after your morning joe !
3. Prevent Alzheimer’s. This is a big deal. According to a study published in the European Journal of Neurology, people who regularly drink coffee have a “significantly lower risk” of developing Alzheimer’s.
4. Protect against Parkinson’s. Like Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s is a devastating disease that affects aging populations. But remarkably, a study published in The Journal of the American Medical Association concluded that “higher coffee and caffeine intake is associated with significantly lower incidences of [Parkinson’s].”
5. Protect against cirrhosis. The liver performs one of the most important functions of the body. When it is damaged, as in cirrhosis, you are in serious trouble. However, drinking coffee can actually prevent the onset of cirrhosis, say researchers at Kaiser Permanente.
6. Prevent colon cancer. The World Health Organization reports colorectal cancer as the fourth leading cause of cancer death worldwide (behind lung, liver, and stomach). This is a serious issue. Luckily, you can protect yourself by drinking up to 4 cups of coffee a day. Evidence of this method comes from a joint study by the National Institute of Health, AARP, and the Imperial College in London.
7. Reduce risk of stroke. This is quite the endorsement. The National Stroke Association cites a study published in the medical journal Stroke, which found drinking just 1 cup of coffee a day can decrease risk of stroke by a whopping 20 percent.
8. Live longer ! This may be the best reason of all. Harvard School of Public Health professor Dr. Eric Rimm says, “I think the evidence is pretty substantial now,” about the health benefits of coffee. The comment was prompted by a massive survey of more than 400,000 older men and women. The study’s researchers concluded that drinking 2 or more cups of coffee a day is associated with a longer life span.
Drink up ! Tell us your thoughts and share this article on social media !